Discover the secret to exceptional Italian cuisine with our Irresistible Homemade Tomato Sauce. This game-changing sauce is the key to elevating a wide range of dishes, from classic pasta recipes to comforting lasagna and flavorful pizzas. Made from scratch with love and the finest ingredients, our homemade tomato sauce boasts a perfect balance of flavors that will transport your taste buds straight to Italy. Say goodbye to store-bought jars and experience the unparalleled depth and richness of a homemade sauce. Prepare to embark on a culinary journey that will forever change the way you enjoy Italian cuisine.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces/800 grams) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14 ounces/400 grams) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) dried basil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: red pepper flakes for a touch of heat
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add minced garlic, chopped carrot, and chopped celery to the saucepan. Cook for another 5 minutes, allowing the vegetables to soften and release their flavors.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Add balsamic vinegar, dried basil, dried oregano, sugar, salt, and black pepper to the saucepan. If desired, sprinkle in a pinch of red pepper flakes for a hint of spiciness.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for at least 30 minutes, but preferably 1 to 2 hours. This slow simmering process allows the flavors to meld together and the sauce to thicken.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pan. As it simmers, the tantalizing aroma will fill your kitchen, building anticipation for the delicious dishes to come.
- After the sauce has reached the desired consistency and flavors have melded, remove it from the heat. For a smoother texture, use an immersion blender or transfer the sauce to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning according to your preference. Add more salt, pepper, or herbs if needed. Let the sauce cool slightly before using or storing.
- Store the homemade tomato sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze it in smaller portions for longer storage. Thaw frozen sauce in the refrigerator before using.
- Embrace the versatility of this irresistible homemade tomato sauce by incorporating it into your favorite Italian dishes. Use it as a base for pasta sauces, spread it on homemade pizza dough, or layer it into lasagna for a comforting meal that will impress your loved ones.
Experience the authentic flavors of Italy with our Irresistible Homemade Tomato Sauce. Elevate your culinary creations and savor the unmatched taste of a homemade sauce that will redefine your Italian dining experience. Prepare to be transported to the heart of Italy with each spoonful of this flavorful masterpiece.
Have you ever wondered why most of the Vinaigrettes in the grocery store are made with 10, 20, sometimes even almost 30 ingredients? I remember growing up in Provence watching my mother whipping vinaigrettes before every single dinner. She would mix in a giant bowl, delicious extra virgin olive oil, a robust aged vinegar (the flavor would depend on the main dish), sea salt and pepper and voila! I decided to do the same thing for my family and friends more than 20 years ago here in this beautiful country. And Provence Kitchen® was born. Stay tune for more articles and wonderful family recipes..